Reporting Off-road Vehicle Nuisance

We need your help to identify who is responsible for misusing off-road bikes in St.Helens!

We need to know;

  • Where it happened;
  • When it happened;
  • What the rider and vehicle looked like;
  • Where the vehicles are being stored;
  • Names if possible.

Off-road nuisance is a problem that is affecting the lives of many. The St.Helens Community Safety Partnership is determined to keep St.Helens safe from this nuisance. We need your help to identify who is responsible for riding the off-road vehicles and who owns them - so the police can then take action, either by serving notices on the riders or seizing the machines.

An off road vehicle can be any mechanically propelled vehicle which is built for use off-road, they are deemed not suitable for use on roads and pavements.

For riders living in Social Landlord properties, if they can be identified and are causing nuisance in the area where they live, action will be taken against them (or their parents/ guardians) as a breach of tenancy.

Sometimes riders hide motorbikes inside their property, this is a fire hazard and puts others at risk. We need you to tell us if you suspect somebody is keeping motorbikes in their home. Merseyside Fire Service will attend and educate riders on the consequences of such behaviour.

Report It

Facebook: Merseyside Police Contact Centre Facebook
Twitter: @MerPolCC

101 (non emergency)
999 (emergency situation)

You can also provide information anonymously to Crimestoppers: 
Call: 0800 555 111

Click here for details on how to report to Social Landlords like Helena (Torus) or Riverside Housing








Nuisance can be caused by:

  • Off-road vehicles being illegally driven in any public place.

  • By road-registered vehicles being inappropriately driven anywhere other than a legally designated road or highway.

Off-Road Vehicles include but are not limited to:

  • Moto Cross

  • Trial and Enduro bikes

  • Mini-motos

  • Quad bikes

  • Electric scooters

  • Buzzboards

  • Gopeds

The law
All bikes including quad bikes, monkey bikes, scooters and small machines with a petrol engine and mini motors and go peds powered by an electric motor are classified as not suitable for use on roads or pavements. This means these bikes come under the laws for motorcycle safety. It does not matter how small the bike is, how slowly it travels or if it has been designed for children.

Remember it's your responsibility to ride legally.
Ignoring the law is no defence. Breaking the law can have serious consequences. You run the risk of:

  • Having your bike seized
  • Enforcement action
  • A heavy fine
  • A civil claim for injury

You are not insured to ride your vehicle on public land. If you do you risk your vehicle being seized and crushed by Merseyside Police.

Safer St Helens have not been made aware of any legal off road tracks in the Merseyside area.

Contact the Auto Cycle Union (governing body for motorcycle sport) for details of events and venues nearest to you .
Tel: 01788 566 400