The majority of accidents which occur over the bonfire period happen at private parties and each year, over half of all firework injuries are suffered by children

It is always safer to attend an organised event, but if you are planning on having a private celebration, please follow this advice;

  • Warn your neighbours beforehand, so that they are aware and can make necessary preparations.
  • Only burn dry material do not burn anything wet or damp as this causes more smoke.
  • Check there are no overhead cables like telephone wires above the bonfire.
  • Build the bonfire well away from buildings, sheds, fences or trees.
  • Do not use petrol or paraffin to start the bonfire, there are often invisible vapours on anyone handling the liquid and it can lead to burn injuries.
  • If you live in a rented property (private and social landlord) you should get permission from them before start planning a bonfire.

Once the fire is lit;

  • Keep a bucket of water or garden hose to hand - in case of emergencies.
  • Do not leave the bonfire unattended.
  • Do not leave children or pets alone by the fire and don't let them get too close.
  • Never throw fireworks into a bonfire.

Once the bonfire has died down.

Spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting and ensure it is completely extinguished.

Follow the Firework Code

MFRS Firework Code


Remember, remember;

More injuries are caused by Sparklers each year than any other firework - they burn at a temperature 15 times hotter than boiling water & regular gloves will not protect your hand if you touch one (you would need to wear special gloves the same as firefighters wear).



Fire fly

Frances the Firefly is a precautionary tale aimed at younger children, about a young firefly, who plays with fire.

Here you can download the story


the print off the accompanying children's activity

Staying in this bonfire night, click the image to download our bonfire night colouring sheet.

Bonfire Colouring sheet pic

If you have witnessed fireworks or any age restricted products being sold to an under aged person report it to Merseyside Police.Or to the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline.

CA Consumer Helpline