Drugs and Alcohol
In St Helens agencies are working together to;
- take action against those dealing drugs in our
- raise awareness of the risks of taking or becoming
- ensure treatment services are effective and
What are we doing?
The following are just some of the initiatives we use to tackle
drug and alcohol related crime:
- Set up the COMPASS programme, to provide targeted support
to the most prolific offenders in St.Helens.
- Worked with our partner agencies to target and evict
individuals from properties prior to drug-closure procedures.
- Targeted Town Centre venues with a combination of enforcement
action and awareness-raising.
- Maintained a mandatory Test on Arrest programme at St.Helens
Police Station Custody Suite
- Opened a recovery centre for offenders who want to become
drug-free and increased support services through the commissioning
of CGL (see below).
- Review and revoke premises licences based
on involvement in crime and disorder.
- Utilised our CCTV system. The Police were informed of any
incidents that may have escalated towards violence by CCTV
- Continued to agree Acceptable Behaviour Contracts with those
arrested for alcohol-related disorder in nighttime economy
locations. Those who refused were referred to the St.Helens
Pubwatch scheme for consideration of PubWatch bans.
- Offenders with alcohol problems have successfully completed
alcohol treatment programmes
whilst under Probation supervision.
In St Helens, a free and confidential drug and alcohol
service is provided by CGL
(Change, Grow, Live), the service for adults, was launched on
1st February 2017.
CGL - St Helens
80 Corporation Street
Tel: 01744 410752
- Structured group work
- Peer-led activities
- One to one work
- Health assessments
- BBV testing and vaccinations
- Hospital liaison
- Advice and information
- Community detox
- 'Breaking the Cycle' family support
Monday - Friday : 9.00am - 5.00pm (late night Wednesday
Saturday : 9.00am - 1.00pm
Young People's Services
There are services available for young people up to the age of
19, provided by the Young People's Drug and Alcohol Team. More
details can be found on their website. They can be contacted
Young People's Drug and Alcohol Team
Lord Street Centre
Tel: 01744 675 605
Opening Times - Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.